Forums Guild Applications [DECLINED] Retribution Paladin

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Druwd 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Thete
    Participant

Name, Age and where you’re from
    Phil, 41 and from Yorkshire (in the UK) but live in Scunthorpe now.

Character Name and BattleTag
    Thete
    Thete#2661

Class
    Paladin

Primary spec
    Retribution

Link to your Armory profile
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/the-maelstrom/thete

Warcraft Logs or Similar
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/eu/the-maelstrom/thete

What addons do you use? (Please provide a screenshot of your UI –IN COMBAT–)
    Elv UI
    Weak Auras
    Tell Me When
    Angry Assignments
    Exorsus Raid Tools
    Big Wigs
    Skada
    RC Loot Council
    Hekili

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/0PYpIRy.jpg

How did you hear about MMM, and what made you consider applying?
    Checking out WoW Progress. You guys seemed the least crazy.

Tell us about your last guild. Why are you choosing us over them?
    My current guild are very nice, and I was instrumental in rescuing it from collapse just before Nighthold. However, a significant number of the roster just don’t have the mindset to focus on mechanics first and this slows progress down a lot. We made poor progress in Nighthold and this hasn’t improved in Tomb. The absolute minimum I expect is cutting edge and have been used to aiming for more for most of my WoW raiding career, so missing out on it has caused me to reluctantly move away.

Tell us about the rest of your raiding history. What content have you cleared in the past? Which guilds did you do it with? Do you have any experience in guild leadership positions or other positions of responsibility?

I raided all tiers up to and including tier 7 before quitting WoW for a while. I cleared all in a good time except the original Naxx where we got to Gothik before the guild decided it couldn’t be bothered raiding anymore (but hey, clearing the T7 version in levelling gear in one night was fun …). When I returned at the start of Dragon Soul, I joined a guild where fast progress wasn’t their main aim, but it was the last tier so we got there in the end. In MoP, they started bloating the roster and just randomly rotating people so I moved elsewhere but that guild couldn’t recruit so tier 14 just petered out. Since then, I’ve been in guilds that have completed the cutting edge in enough time to give a breather before the following tier until Legion. I was going to be surplus to requirement with the guild I started this expansion in so moved to my current guild (sort of, we made a new guild from the members of the old one) where we were doing quite well until Christmas. People taking several weeks cost us and recruitment, which was never active before I got involved, became much tougher as we slipped down the ranks.

In the past, I’ve been raid leader and recruitment officer in various guilds, though I’ve never liked raid leading as melee so haven’t done that, except as backup, for a long time. I usually involve myself with log analysis when needed between raids and am sometimes in a position to flag upcoming changes that might affect forward planning.

Tell us how you play your class, and how it makes you stand apart from others
    As a Retribution Paladin, I am one of the guide writers endorsed by the Paladin community on the Hammer of Wrath Discord. I was also one of the people who appeared on the most recent Final Boss episode on Ret Paladins to wax lyrical about the spec. I understand how to play the spec well but do not whore for percentiles. I am the one who always focuses on mechanics first and DPS second where there is a clash. The key to making decent progress is to focus entirely on those mechanics and then work on DPS when a DPS check is failed, which it almost never is on most bosses anyway. In this way, when you have to worry about DPS checks, you’ll be comfortable enough with the mechanics that errors at this point will be unlikely except for freak events.

Key strengths of the Ret have been variable during Legion, from strong single target in the first tier to stronger AoE currently. I keep myself up to date with all the changes coming up. Rather than focus on overall damage, I tend to consider when the most important burst phases of a fight are and try to make sure I’m in a position to contribute the most there.

For example, on Mythic KJ progress, I would sometimes go out and soak during initial burst even though doing that during Crusade is ruinous to damage. But all that needed to happen during the first phase is that the boss transition before the Armaggeddon and, ideally, before hitting the tank with Fel Claws. If this was going to be done anyway, transitioning it a couple of seconds earlier made no difference.

How do you improve? – What resources do you use to optimise your performance – please provide details & examples as required.
    I am in frequent discussion with the senior theorycrafters and performers of the spec and run quite a few sims and log analyses to try to work out ways of taking better advantage of encounters.

Having people on tap who will have cleared the bosses well ahead of you can be a useful resource and sometimes provide spec specific tips for being useful on the fight. This has helped my current guild several times.

What are the strengths of your class in comparison to other classes in your role? (E.g. if you are Mage – what are your strengths/weaknesses vs a warlock?)
    I don’t die quite so often, but apparently it’s sensible that I profit from the deaths of others. This seems to be particularly powerful on Argus, though I’m sure they will alter that before it goes live. I am also able to burst fairly high damage should it be essential at a certain point of the fight, moreso in Antorus.

Can you use Discord, do you have a mic, are you vocal?
    Yes to all three.

Can you Raid on Thursday, Sunday and Tuesday 8:00pm to 11pm GMT+0? (9:00 pm to 12 pm Servertime)
    The times are fine. I have a small number of events at work that would make me late to some, one of which is Wednesday 29th November unfortunately, but there are a maximum of 5 of those in the year.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Druwd.

Okayama

Hi Thete,

Thank you for the application we will discuss it and get back to you with any questions we may have.

Thanks
    Okayama

Druwd

Hi Thete-

Thanks for the application.

I have watched some of your streams on twitch over the last couple of days & found them very enjoyable – so thanks for that.

With regard to your application, we currently have a very stable and high quality Melee roster.

If we were to accept you I do not believe you would be able to take a spot from these players & I suspect you would not be happy to sit on the bench regularly.

Because of that we will have to decline.

Best of luck finding the right guild.

Regards,

Drowd

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.