Forums Guild Applications [ACCEPTED] Incruente – Mage

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Korogg 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Name, Age and where you’re from

My name is Serge, I’m 18 years old and I’m from Belgium.

Character Name and BattleTag

My character’s name is Incruente
    My battletag is Incruente#2777

My class is Mage

Primary spec

My primary spec is depends on the fight but in general with Antorus it’s Frost or Fire due to arcane doing a poorer job than those 2 on most things and only excelling at very rare niches.

Link to your Armory profile

Warcraft Logs or Similar

Antorus :

Tomb :

What addons do you use? (Please provide a screenshot of your UI –IN COMBAT–)

View post on

I use
    Exorsus Raid Tools
    Tidy Plates : Threat Plates

How did you hear about MMM, and what made you consider applying?

I heard about MMM from Dazro, My guild’s recent fall from grace due to old core members leaving, the void left in leadership and laziness in our recent progress.

Tell us about your last guild. Why are you choosing us over them?

Avail, the guild is slowly dying due to losing core members, losing its focus on progress and I would like to continue raiding and higher than I’m now.

This started from Antorus onwards but has manifested only a month ago and the most clear case was with how our farm caused us to barely progress aggramar due to being unable to clear farm without needing both days due to people’s greed on logs,each week we lost a member due to either being tired of the game or wanting something different and we are unable to fill the void they leave, even with most raiders wanting to extend our officers couldn’t decide until they were forced a week ago due 2 weeks straight of wiping on farm and finishing the raid on a farm boss with 0 progress on aggramar.

Tell us about the rest of your raiding history. What content have you cleared in the past? Which guilds did you do it with? Do you have any experience in guild leadership positions or other positions of responsibility?

My raiding History has been casual until recently so there’s only Primal

Primal – we cleared 8/9M sadly we didn’t clear KJ as Primal died the week after our first Avatar kill due to our leadership calling it a day.

Avail 10/11M

Tell us how you play your class, and how it makes you stand apart from others

I press shiny buttons as frost mage and make sure I follow my flurry spell with an ice lance, what makes me stand out is that I to use my shimmer, pre plan for abilities and make sure to use my defensives if I need them.

All jokes aside there’s not a lot a frost mage can do to show his / her difference from another frost mage outside of mastering the basics of controlling a ranged due to how basic the frost mage is in it’s gameplay.

How do you improve? – What resources do you use to optimise your performance – please provide details & examples as required.

I improve by comparing my own logs to other mages to see what and how they do something differently for, I also regularly check the mage discord for certain questions or changes that might have happened and how other mages dealt with these, I also ask the theorycraft mages + other high end players to see how they deal with a mechanic or do a certain boss I’m progressing or have to progress.

Also the typical sim myself to find the correct gear sets and legendaries with raidbots / simc.

For example Kin’Garoth is a boss where I used most of these methods to figure how to properly deal with this boss :

Before our raid, I checked a few high end players like gapezilla streams to see how they handled kin’garoth, the day itself I was finding during kin’garoth that if I used my icy veins right as the first adds spawned that i wouldn’t get it back until 10~ seconds after the second set of adds spawned so I went to check the mage discord to see how they dealt with this and I found it was a common issue without a 5th Frozen Veins trait.

I had an idea to use icy veins 10 seconds before the adds to make it line up for the next sets of adds so I went to check logs with people the same amount of frozen veins traits to see how they dealt with it and I found out that they did use icy veins 10 seconds before the first adds to make line up for later which allowed them to gain quite a bit from it, I also found by checking these logs that it was generally quite profitable to save your brain freeze procs from 5 seconds before adds onwards due to the adds increased damage taken buff.

What are the strengths of your class in comparison to other classes in your role? (E.g. if you are Mage – what are your strengths/weaknesses vs a warlock?)

Mage it’s strengths and weaknesses vary depending on the spec but here are some of the general strengths

Ice block, also referred to as an immunity is one of the most common strengths in “abusing” mechanics on a progress fights due to its power to remove an entire mechanic from a fight like argus chains before the hotfix if not regulated by blizzard.

Blink = Shimmer, Shimmer probably one of the most overpowered movement abilities in the game due to allowing you to continue casting while blinking 20 yards away + 2 charges, this ability allows you to deal with almost everything the game can throw at you while not having to sacrifice dps due to being to being able to cast while blinking away.this ability alone makes mages one of the best progress specs in the game just to due amount of mobility provides.

Being a ranged dps, this is both a burden and privilege depending on the raid but in general wow history it has been a privilege due to allowing you to deal mechanics without sacrificing damage by going out of melee range, easier dealing with mechanics like spreading out and getting more room to play with due to being ranged.

Here are some of frost’s its strengths and weaknesses

Frost Strengths :
    Double Ice Block, One of frost it’s niches is allowing you to double ice block it’s very good for progress in raids due to being a more controlled environment but still allowing for the second ice block to save certain wipes like on aggramar having someone death and blinking into cover by using the second ice block after having used the first to remove unnecessary healing from your healers.

Ice Barrier, the strongest shield of all mage specs and allows for frost to remove / cover huge amounts of damage on a 25 second cooldown which is a huge strength on progress which helps to remove a lot of unneeded stress on your healers.

Single Target and Cleave damage, Frost its blizzards and frozen orbs aren’t known for doing the huge amount of aoe damage, ignite or flamestrike can do but it’s single target and cleave have become part of its core identity in Legion, going from Nighthold until now in Antorus this is in part due to Ebonbolt, Flurry and Ice lance frost its 3 most hard hitting spells are limited to 1 or 2 targets ( ice lance with the splitting ice talent).

Frost Weaknesses :

Limited movement, this is a bold statement to make with its access to Shimmer but due to how frost works it’s movement is based on rng due whether or not it has procs / instant casts to cover the distance if shimmer won’t do. There are some moments where you desperately want a proc to cover a small distance but run into that awkward moment where you spam none shattered ice lances.

No Self healing, This is a small weakness due to sometimes you wanting a constant healing effect rather than a large shield every 25 seconds like Kin’garoth’s intermission. It’s a weakness but it’s a trade off for us getting a large on demand shield every 25 seconds.

No real AoE damage, this is a small weakness but still a weakness on fight’s like Antoran High Command or Portal keeper depending on your raid comp, Frost’s AoE is a joke compared to fire’s due to being limited by Blizzard and Frozen orb + glacial eruption.

Here are some of fire’s strengths and weaknesses
    Fire Strengths:

High Mobility, One of fire’s greatest positives for progressing is it’s allowance of fixing a positioning error at any time where shimmer won’t do the job by using scorch without losing a lot of damage. This is an amazing strength for progress due the amount of imperfections most early bosses / none high pulls progressed boss share is that nobody has a perfect movement pattern due to low sample of practice on the fights.

Cheat Death, This is like’s frost second immunity except it’s less versatile but more effective in a more chaotic / chaotic progress scenario like early bosses or M+, this is more versatile then frost’s second block as most of the time it will get procced is due to a mistake that the second ice block of frost wouldn’t have covered in time.

High lvl sustained / semi burst AoE damage, This is Fire’s “niche” but unlike frost’s it’s counterpart Fire’s ST doesn’t suck as bad as frost’s AoE if you get enough bracer procs it can rival frost’s single target unlike frost’s aoe vs fire’s who is dynamic.

Fire’s weaknesses

Average to below average boss damage, Most of Fire’s boss damage comes down to whether or not you get bracers procs or you will do below average to average which it trades for good passive aoe damage / burst damage on adds with combustions.

No great preemptive defensive tools, This is mostly due to how weak blazing barrier is, it canB barely hold any dot / damage done by most things in antorus, most of fire’s tools are reactive cauterizing blink and cauterize, which is nice for most small things but certain things you’d just rather have ice barrier.

Can you use Discord, do you have a mic, are you vocal?

I do use Discord and I have a mic. I’m vocal but I know when to talk and when to shut up

Can you Raid on Thursday, Sunday and Tuesday 8:00pm to 11pm GMT+0? (9:00 pm to 12 pm Servertime)

Yes I can

Thank for reading my app, I hope to raid with you guys. Also i’m aware that while mage is fine right now that coming BFA it might take a hit due to blizzard’s balancing or the raid design and I’d be down to play whatever is best at the time for the guild.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Korogg.

Hello Incruente and thanks for applying.

I see you listed WeakAuras under your addons in the UI section, but don’t see much in the way of WAs in the screenshot. How and when do you use WAs to your advantage?

I’m sure we will have someone in here to ask mage-related questions soon.

Hey Korgg,

I use WA mostly for things that are important but aren’t easily visible on the character itself for example with deadwind harvester or fire bracers, they are both buffs of great importance but they don’t have much off a visual effect on the character
    Same goes with potion of prolonged power, but that’s more for M+. – My warlock’s deadwind harvester buff – My mage’s fire bracers + potion of prolonged power.

The same principle goes for bosses for example Argus while his debuffs sargeras’ fear and sargeras’ anger have clear visual indactor ‘s. the chain of sargeras is more obscure and a WA would prove useful there to instantly spot it. – a friend’s stream to show case how shit the chains are represented ingame vs the debuffs. vs a wa that does this.

Also I look forward to answering the mage questions.

Greetings Inc

Where do you believe you need to improve as a raider?

Hey Drowd

I believe I need to improve further in some areas.

2 core things and 1 minor thing

Consistency: This point is the most important of all, as you have seen on my logs my previous performances had some inconsistencies to say the least which isn’t good as a raider, while i can have really high highs atm, I also have really low lows like my most recent portal keeper death, this is a mistake I have learnt from and will struggle to make again

I believe I have improved on this quite a bit on our aggramar progress but I feel there is always room for further improvement.

Avoidable deaths: This is tied to my previous point but it’s more recognizing all the tools i have in my arsenal like ice block, ice barrier and shimmer.

Now as I repeat myself from the previous statement, I believe I have improved a lot on using my tools to my arsenal to prevent those deaths but there’s some small things I need to iron out.

Small errors: The most vague statement of all but it’s basically all the small errors that require you to use extra resources you shouldn’t need to use otherwise, like for example needing to ice block on garothi to avoid eradication which I could’ve saved to double soak an annihilation. This also relates to the previous points, better use of shimmer could have saved me from the death on hasabel.

Greetings Inc.

Hi – thanks for the response above

Are you available for a 5 min chat this evening around 21.15 server time?

Hey Drowd

Yes, I’m available for a chat around 21:15
    Is this chat on discord, battle net or ingame ?

I will see you sround 21:15.
    Greetings Inc

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Incruente.

Hi – discord

Hello Incruente
    Thanks for the chat yesterday.
    You are accepted for a trial.

– Korogg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.